Hackensack, New Jersey
Evan L. Goldman, Esq. has been practicing law since 1979. He received his undergraduate degree from Rutgers with High Distinction in Economics and his Law Degree from the University Maryland School of Law. Following Law school he clerked for the Hon. Marshall Selikoff, J.S.C. who at that time was both the Assignment Judge and Presiding Judge Civil in Monmouth County.
For most of the past 30 years, he has represented both individuals and businesses in all areas of civil litigation. During the past 15 years he has narrowed his practice to representing individuals in Employment Matters and in other areas of Civil Litigation in State and Federal Courts here in New Jersey. To date, he has tried to conclusion over 100 Jury Trials and has been involved in thousands more.
He has lectured extensively in the area of Employment Law and Insurance Coverage Law and has also published both articles and Op Ed. articles in these legal areas. Currently he is Co-Chair of the Employment Law Section of the New Jersey Association for Justice, Co-Chair of the Bad Faith Section of the New Jersey Association for Justice, a member of the National Employment Lawyers Association –New Jersey, and a member of the Sidney Reitman Employment Law American Inn of Court. He is also a member of both the Middlesex County Bar Association, Bergen County Bar Association and Middlesex County Trial Lawyers Association. Formerly he was also a Registered Player Agent for the National Basketball Association.
Many of his cases have resulted in either multimillion dollar settlements or verdicts and, in cases that have been appealed to the Appellate Division, he has made new law in the State of New Jersey in several areas of law.
Evan also has been Certified by the New Jersey Supreme Court as a Civil Trial Attorney, a certification which establishes that he has been able to demonstrate sufficient levels of experience, education, knowledge, and skill in civil trial practice. To date only approximately 2.5% of all attorneys in the State of New Jersey hold that designation.
The Real Victims of Tort Reform (Commentary), New Jersey Law Journal, December, 2004.
Bad Faith Litigation: The Next Frontier (Commentary), New Jersey Law Journal, August, 2005.
Fee Shifting, The Great Leveler (Commentary), New Jersey Law Journal, March, 2007.
Areas of Practice:
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Products Liability
- Medical Negligence
- Professional Negligence
- Mold Litigation
- Construction Site Accidents
- Wrongful Discharge
- Employment Discrimination
- Insurance Coverage Litigation
- Automobile Negligence
- Insurance Bad Faith Litigation
- Recreation Accidents
- Criminal Law
- Civil Trial Attorney, Supreme Court of New Jersey, 2007
- University of Maryland School of Law, Baltimore, Maryland, 1979
- Rutgers College, New Brunswick, New Jersey, 1976
B.A. with High Distinction in Economics
- Published Works:
- The Credentialed Expert as an Ineffective Witness, Matthew Bender Series on Medical Malpractice, 1998
- The Real Victims of Tort Reform (Commentary), New Jersey Law Journal, December, 2004
- Bad Faith Litigation: The Next Frontier (Commentary), New Jersey Law Journal, August, 2005
- Fee Shifting, The Great Leveler (Commentary), New Jersey Law Journal, March, 2007
- Representative Cases:
- State v. Williams, 197 N.J. Super. 127 (App. Div. 1984)
- Bauter v. Hanover Insurance Company, 247 N.J. Super 94 (App. Div. 1989)
- Onayia v. Cass, 286 N.J. Super. 664 (App. Div. 1996)
- Szoke v. Board of Adj., Monmouth Beach, 270 N.J. Super. 341 (App. Div. 1992)
- Gilles v. Wiley Malehorn & Sirota, 345 N.J. Super. 119 (App. Div. 2001)
- Claypotch v. E. G. Heller & Sons, 340 N.J. Super. 472 (App. Div. 2003)
- Taddei v. State Farm, 401 N.J. Super. 449 (App. Div. 2008)
- Classes/Seminars Taught:
- Skills and Methods, Ethics, 1985 - 1990
- Presenter: Bad Faith Litigation in New Jersey, National Business Institute, 2001
- Co-Chair: How to Hold Insurance Companies Responsible for their Bad Faith, ATLA, 2005
- Presenter: Employment Seminar at Boardwalk North, ATLA-NJ, 2007
- Panel Chair: Employment Seminar at Boardwalk Seminar, ATLA-NJ, 2008
- Co-Chair: Employment Law Seminar at Meadowlands Seminar, New Jersey Association for Justice, 2009
- Professional Associations and Memberships:
- New Jersey Supreme Court Ethics Committee for Middlesex County
- Secretary, 1985 - 1992; Member, 1992 - 1996
- American Association for Justice (AAJ)
- American Trial Lawyers Association, New Jersey, 1995 - Present
- Bad Faith Subcommittee, NJAJ (formerly ATLA-NJ), Co-Chair
- 2004 - Present
- Board of Governors, NJAJ (formerly ATLA-NJ)
- Co Chair, Employment Law Section, NJAJ (formerly ATLA - NJ)
- Civil Practice Committee Bergen County Bar Association
- Middlesex Trial Lawyers Association
- Bergen County Bar Association
- Middlesex County Bar Association, 1980 - Present
- National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA)
- Sidney Reitman Employment Inn of the American Courts, 2009 - Present
- Past Employment Positions:
- Hon. Marshall S. Selikoff, Acting Assignment Judge, Superior Court of New Jersey, Monmouth County, Law Secretary, 1979 - 1980